Dental implants can restore your smile and replace missing teeth. They're also vital for reinforcing your jawbone. Your dentists in Dothan, AL, Dr. Paul Hufham and Dr. Bayne Heersink are here to help and advise you!
What's a dental implant?
If you're suffering from tooth loss, it's vital to deal with this problem as soon as possible. Tooth loss can lead to the deterioration of your jawbone without the support it needs. Dental implants replace the tooth root to prevent your jawbone from weakening.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- They can last a lifetime if cared for properly.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, which makes them comfortable and practical.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
- They are used to fill a single gap in your teeth, a few gaps, or all of your teeth.
- Dental implants look natural and can give you a beautiful smile.
- You won't have to worry about being able to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
What does the procedure consist of?
If you decide to get a dental implant, here's what you need to know about the process:
- A local anesthetic is applied to the area that will undergo the procedure.
- Your dentist will insert a titanium post into the jawbone. The titanium post acts as the new tooth root and is biocompatible, so there is no worry of tissue rejection.
- The doctor will then surgically close the area and allow it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months, while the process of osseointegration takes its full course.
- When you return, your Dothan, AL, dentist will re-open the area, insert an abutment and place a crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
If you have questions or concerns, Dr. Paul Hufham and Dr. Bayne Heersink can help you out. Call their office, located in Dothan, AL, to make an appoint today!