Too many patients wait until they're experiencing expensive and painful dental problems before they visit the dentist. Many of those issues can be avoided with simple and inexpensive preventative treatments. Gain a better understanding of the importance of preventive care so that you can put a checkup visit to HealthWest Dental Associates in Dothan, AL, at the top of your priority list this month.
What Is Considered Preventive Dental Care?
With preventative care, your Dothan, AL, dentist can treat your smile before a dental disease has a chance to develop and progress. The goal is to prevent problems by keeping your mouth clean and your teeth strong and free of tartar buildup. Preventative care may also involve looking at your medical history to ensure that the condition of your teeth is not affecting your overall health.
Why Preventive Care Is Important
To better understand why preventive care is so important, all you need to do is look at a few key statistics:
- About 27 percent of adults have untreated tooth decay according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey.
- Almost half of American adults have gum disease according to the CDC.
- Over 178 million Americans have at least one missing tooth and 40 million are missing all of their teeth according to the American College of Prosthodontists.
Many of these dental health statistics wouldn't be as concerning if more Americans would go to the dentist for preventative care on a regular basis.
Preventive Treatments That Can Help You
Most preventative treatments can be performed at your next checkup appointment with your dentist. See this list of common preventive treatments to decide what you may need:
- Professional teeth cleaning and scaling if there's plaque buildup.
- X-rays to check the health of your bone and tooth canals.
- A dental crown to protect a weak or unattractive tooth.
- Dental sealants and fluoride treatments (common for children).
- Laser decay diagnosis, which checks for signs of tooth decay.
- Night guards to stop bruxism, which causes enamel wear and tear.
When Is the Last Time You Saw a Dentist
If it's a been more than six months since you've seen a dentist for preventive care, take action and contact HealthWest Dental Associates in Dothan, AL, for a checkup in the coming weeks. Call (334) 702-1101 today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bayne Heersink or Dr. H. Paul Hufham, III.