Does Getting a Tooth Extracted Hurt?
What your dentists in Dothan want you to know about tooth extraction
If you’ve been told you need a tooth extraction, it’s natural to feel a bit nervous. Years ago, teeth were extracted by barbers, usually with no anesthetic other than whiskey. Thankfully, times have changed. If you need a tooth extracted, there is no need to worry because modern dental extractions are a routine procedure with minimal discomfort. Your dentists at Healthwest Dental Associates in Dothan, AL want to help you discover just how easy a dental extraction can be.
When you come in for a dental extraction, your dentists will numb the tooth and surrounding tissue with local anesthetic, so you don’t feel anything. In addition, you can try mild sedation using one or more of these methods:
- Oral sedation--taken in pill form; this form of sedation helps you relax and feel sleepy, but you will still be able to respond.
- Inhaled conscious sedation--using a nitrous oxide and oxygen mixture inhaled through a nosepiece; this sedation helps you relax and can be used in combination with oral sedation for more profound relaxation.
After you are completely numb and relaxed, your dentists will use precise tools to loosen the ligaments and fibers which attach your tooth to the supporting bone. As the ligaments and fibers loosen, your tooth begins to move. Eventually your tooth becomes totally separated from the surrounding tissue and can be easily removed.
Sometimes the reasons for a tooth extraction are obvious, but your dentist may suggest tooth extraction for a tooth that is:
- Traumatically damaged or broken
- Badly decayed or unrestorable
- Painful even after root canal treatment
- Crowded out of position
- Split along the root
- Compromised from periodontal disease and bone loss
You may also need teeth removed for upcoming orthodontic treatment. Wisdom teeth are the most common teeth to be extracted because they are difficult to keep clean and often erupt out of position to be a functioning tooth.
Whatever the reason for your tooth extraction, your dentists in Dothan are committed to providing excellent care before, during and after your appointment. Don’t let tooth extraction make you fearful! Get some help from the experts. Call your dentists at Healthwest Dental Associates in Dothan, AL today and find out more about tooth extraction options to help your smile!