Don't Settle For An Incomplete Smile
A missing tooth doesn't have to permanently alter your appearance. Thanks to dental implants, you can restore your smile with an artificial tooth that feels and acts like the tooth you lost. Dr. H. Paul Hufham, III. and Dr. Bayne H. Heersink of Healthwest Dental Associates, PC, your Dothan, AL dentists, explain how dental implants work.
Implants get to the root of the problem
Dental implants replace the roots of lost teeth. Implants are made of titanium, a strong metal that bonds easily to bone. During the first step in the implant process, your Dothan dentist drills a small hole in your jawbone and places the implant inside. Over the course of the next several months, the implant will fuse to the surrounding bone, providing a stable anchor for the porcelain crown that will rest on top.
Implants offer many benefits
Implants offer a variety of benefits, including:
- Improved self-esteem: It's difficult to feel proud of your appearance when there's a gap in your smile. Dental implants restore your smile and your self-confidence.
- Long-lasting results: In many cases, your implant will last the rest of your life, while bridges and dentures will need to be replaced several times.
- A strong jawbone: After you lose a tooth, your jawbone begins to recede and weaken because it's no longer stimulated by your tooth roots. Since implants replace roots, they provide the stimulation the bone needs to stay strong.
- Better bite power: Your biting power is reduced with dentures, which means eating hard foods is impossible or difficult. Your dental implant provides a strong, stable foundation for your crown and makes it possible to continue to eat the foods you enjoy.
- A cost-effective solution: Although the initial cost of dental implants is higher than the cost of bridges or dentures, you'll save in the long-run when you choose implants. Because implants don't usually have to be replaced, unlike bridges and dentures, you'll actually pay less when you consider the long-term costs.
Do dental implants sound like the perfect option for you? Call Dr. H. Paul Hufham, III. and Dr. Bayne H. Heersink of Healthwest Dental Associates, PC, your Dothan, AL dentists, at (334) 702-1101 to schedule an appointment. Restore your smile with dental implants!