Would Dental Implants Help Me?
Are you dealing with tooth loss? If so, find out if implants could be the right restoration for your smile.
Tooth loss can often feel rather daunting, especially if this is something that just happened to you. Luckily, our Dothan, AL dentists Dr. H. Paul Hufham, III, and Dr. Bayne Heersink, are here to offer you many different treatment options to cater to your needs. While dental implants are an amazing restoration and have replaced countless missing teeth, they aren’t right for everyone so find out whether implants are the best restoration for you.
What are dental implants?
Implants are made to function just like real tooth roots, despite the fact that they only look like small metal posts. They are placed into the jawbone where they fuse together with bone and tissue to become a permanent and resilient foundation from which to support a dental crown. Implants can be used to replace one or all of your teeth, and, with the proper care, can last the rest of your life.
However, not everyone is an ideal candidate for getting dental implants in Dothan, AL. Find out if you are right for implants:
- You are in good health: You will want to talk to us about any health problems you are facing before we determine whether implants are right for you. Ideal candidates will have great oral and general health.
- You have a strong jawbone: Those who have been dealing with tooth loss for a long time may also suffer from bone loss. If the jawbone is too damaged to support a dental implant, bone grafting will need to happen beforehand to rebuild the jawbone prior to getting an implant. Bone grafting will improve the success of implantation.
- You aren’t a smoker: Those who smoke or use tobacco products are more likely to experience implant failure than a non-smoker. So if you really want implants, you’ll want to quit smoking prior to and after getting your implant.
- You are an adult: Children and teen’s jawbones are still developing. By placing an implant into the jawbone too early in life we could stunt its growth. This is why only adults are right for implants.
- You are dedicated to your oral health: The health of your implant relies on you. You should be ready to properly care for your smile each and every day and you should be ready to visit us every six months for routine care.
If you want to find out if you are an ideal candidate for dental implants, then it’s time to schedule a consultation with Healthwest Dental Associates in Dothan, AL. Discover all the benefits you’ll enjoy when you get a dental implant!