Posts for tag: restorative dentistry
Dental implants can restore your smile and replace missing teeth. They're also vital for reinforcing your jawbone. Your dentists in Dothan, AL, Dr. Paul Hufham and Dr. Bayne Heersink are here to help and advise you!
What's a dental implant?
If you're suffering from tooth loss, it's vital to deal with this problem as soon as possible. Tooth loss can lead to the deterioration of your jawbone without the support it needs. Dental implants replace the tooth root to prevent your jawbone from weakening.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- They can last a lifetime if cared for properly.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, which makes them comfortable and practical.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
- They are used to fill a single gap in your teeth, a few gaps, or all of your teeth.
- Dental implants look natural and can give you a beautiful smile.
- You won't have to worry about being able to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
What does the procedure consist of?
If you decide to get a dental implant, here's what you need to know about the process:
- A local anesthetic is applied to the area that will undergo the procedure.
- Your dentist will insert a titanium post into the jawbone. The titanium post acts as the new tooth root and is biocompatible, so there is no worry of tissue rejection.
- The doctor will then surgically close the area and allow it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months, while the process of osseointegration takes its full course.
- When you return, your Dothan, AL, dentist will re-open the area, insert an abutment and place a crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
If you have questions or concerns, Dr. Paul Hufham and Dr. Bayne Heersink can help you out. Call their office, located in Dothan, AL, to make an appoint today!
Broken and damaged teeth cause more than just aesthetic issues. If left untreated, your broken or damaged tooth can lead to serious dental issues or even result in tooth loss. Luckily, a dental crown can help restore your smile’s functionality while improving the appearance of your smile. Find out more about dental crowns with Dr. Paul Hufham and Dr. Bayne Heersink at Healthwest Dental Associates in Dothan, AL.
How does a dental crown work?
A dental crown fits over a tooth and protects the tooth’s natural structure. A dental crown is actually one of the most common dental procedures, used in many cases, especially those where a tooth receives a large filling, such as a root canal. Other reasons dentists use crowns include:
- restoring the worn biting surface of a tooth
- stabilizing a broken or damaged tooth
- holding a dental bridge in place
- replacing a missing tooth with a dental implant
- renewing the appearance of a worn, discolored, or misshapen tooth
What is the process for crowning a tooth?
Before your dentist can crown a tooth, they must first prepare it. The preparation uses a method which removes enamel from the sides and top of the tooth and shapes it into the correct form to fit inside the crown. Then, your dentist will take an impression of your mouth which a dental laboratory will use to custom-make each crown.
How long do dental crowns last?
Porcelain dental crowns will last many years with the proper care. Porcelain is durable and stain-resistant, giving you a look you will love. Caring for porcelain dental restorations is as easy as caring for your own teeth. All patients--no matter their age, risk level for tooth decay, or previous dental procedures--should brush twice a day and floss once. Patients should also see their dentist at least twice a year for regular dental examinations and professional cleanings performed by a dental hygienist.
Dental Crowns in Dothan, AL
For more information on dental crowns, please contact Dr. Hufham and Dr. Heersink at Healthwest Dental Associates in Dothan, AL. Call (334) 702-1101 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!
Understanding the different types of dental services your dentist provides may seem overwhelming. However, learning about some of the most common dental procedures can help you work with your dentist to find the best treatment for you. Among these common procedures are porcelain dental restorations, an important facet of modern dentistry. Find out more about porcelain dental restorations and what they can do for you with Dr. Paul Hufham and Dr. Bayne Heersink at Healthwest Dental Associates in Dothan, AL.
Dental Services You May Need in Dothan
Dental implants are a powerful, permanent procedure and replace your missing teeth. In use for many years, the technology behind dental implants has made great strides in the last several years, becoming less invasive and more widely available and popular than ever. The implant itself is a biocompatible, titanium post which resembles a screw. Your dentist places the implant below the gum line, directly into the jawbone in which your tooth used to sit. This process replaces the tooth’s root, while a dental prosthetic made from porcelain fits over the implant to replace the tooth itself. Implants require that patients be in good dental and general health.
Dental veneers are a super-thin covering which fits onto the surface of your tooth or teeth. Veneers can drastically change your smile’s appearance of subtly transform only a few teeth. Made in a dental laboratory, dental veneers are customized to your mouth tooth by tooth. This ensures a secure bond between the veneer and your tooth and a natural look. Veneers repair many issues, such as chips, cracks, uneven teeth, discolored or yellowed teeth, and even small misalignments, overcrowded areas, and gaps.
Dental crowns are an important porcelain dental restoration which achieves many goals within the dental world. Crowns fit over a tooth and surround it completely above the gum line. Often, dentists use dental crowns after root canal therapy to stabilize the tooth against future damage. However, crowns can also hold a dental bridge in place, support a tooth after a large filling, cover a dental implant to replace a missing tooth, or improve the appearance of a misshapen or discolored tooth.
For more information on these procedures and more, please contact Dr. Paul Hufham and Dr. Bayne Heersink at Healthwest Dental Associates in Dothan, AL. Call (334) 702-1101 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!
Dental crowns can help your smile in several ways. They can be used to strengthen teeth that are worn down and too weak to perform biting and chewing functions. Dental crowns can also be used to improve the appearance of your smile by concealing a variety of imperfections, such as discolorations, cracks and chips. When used in conjunction with a dental implant, crowns can even replace missing teeth. Dr. Paul Hufham and Dr. Bayne Heersink of Healthwest Dental Associates are your Dothan, AL dentists and dental crown experts.
What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are caps that completely enclose the natural teeth. Once placed, a crown acts as a protective shell for the tooth. Crowns are durable enough to function like regular teeth and can be used to bite and chew food. Crowns also look like natural teeth. They can transform your smile by concealing cosmetic problems, such as discolorations, chips and cracks. Crowns can even improve the appearance of misshapen teeth. Your Dothan dentist can help you decide if dental crowns are the right choice for improving your smile.
The Dental Crown Procedure
Dental crowns are custom made for each patient using a mold of the patient’s teeth. This ensures the crowns will fit perfectly over the corresponding teeth. A variety of materials can be used to make dental crowns, including ceramic, porcelain, resin and gold. For ceramic, porcelain and resin, the color of the finished crown can be matched to the patient’s existing teeth. Color matching helps the crowns blend in and gives them the most natural look possible. After the crowns are created, they are cemented permanently in place.
How Dental Crowns Help
Dental crowns help your smile by strengthening weak teeth and restoring normal functions, like biting and chewing. They also help by transforming your smile’s appearance. Reasons for having dental crowns installed include:
- Improving the appearance of your smile
- Concealing discolorations on teeth
- Covering cracked teeth
- Covering teeth that are misshapen
- Anchoring dental bridges in place
- Covering dental implants
- Covering large cavities that cannot be filled
Dental crowns help your smile by improving its appearance, strengthening weak teeth and restoring normal tooth functioning. To have dental crowns installed, schedule a dental exam with Dr. Hufham or Dr. Heersink of Healthwest Dental Associates, your Dothan, AL dentists, by calling (334) 702-1101.
Are you dealing with tooth loss? If so, find out if implants could be the right restoration for your smile.
Tooth loss can often feel rather daunting, especially if this is something that just happened to you. Luckily, our Dothan, AL dentists Dr. H. Paul Hufham, III, and Dr. Bayne Heersink, are here to offer you many different treatment options to cater to your needs. While dental implants are an amazing restoration and have replaced countless missing teeth, they aren’t right for everyone so find out whether implants are the best restoration for you.
What are dental implants?
Implants are made to function just like real tooth roots, despite the fact that they only look like small metal posts. They are placed into the jawbone where they fuse together with bone and tissue to become a permanent and resilient foundation from which to support a dental crown. Implants can be used to replace one or all of your teeth, and, with the proper care, can last the rest of your life.
However, not everyone is an ideal candidate for getting dental implants in Dothan, AL. Find out if you are right for implants:
- You are in good health: You will want to talk to us about any health problems you are facing before we determine whether implants are right for you. Ideal candidates will have great oral and general health.
- You have a strong jawbone: Those who have been dealing with tooth loss for a long time may also suffer from bone loss. If the jawbone is too damaged to support a dental implant, bone grafting will need to happen beforehand to rebuild the jawbone prior to getting an implant. Bone grafting will improve the success of implantation.
- You aren’t a smoker: Those who smoke or use tobacco products are more likely to experience implant failure than a non-smoker. So if you really want implants, you’ll want to quit smoking prior to and after getting your implant.
- You are an adult: Children and teen’s jawbones are still developing. By placing an implant into the jawbone too early in life we could stunt its growth. This is why only adults are right for implants.
- You are dedicated to your oral health: The health of your implant relies on you. You should be ready to properly care for your smile each and every day and you should be ready to visit us every six months for routine care.
If you want to find out if you are an ideal candidate for dental implants, then it’s time to schedule a consultation with Healthwest Dental Associates in Dothan, AL. Discover all the benefits you’ll enjoy when you get a dental implant!